Monday, September 29, 2008

Nachos

I think I have mentioned often on this blog how much I am in love with Qdoba Mexican Grill's nachos! There is just something about them that drives me crazy! I haven't spotted a Qdoba in Stanley... and I'm pretty sure we won't be getting one. So I had to find my own Nacho recipe... and I found a keeper! This would be such a fun meal to entertain with! Who doesn't love Nachos?!!

Oh... this is a crock pot meal too!! EASY!! I should also warn you that this smells delish while it is cooking... so it would be best to not be at home until it is done. Unfortunately I work from home and it was extremely difficult not to eat them until they were done!

Pork Nachos
1 pound dried pinto beans (I don't do beans...so I didn't add these)
1 boneless pork lion roast (3 to 4 pounds), halved
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
5 medium carrots, chopped
4 celery ribs, chopped
1-1/2 cups water
2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
2 tablespoons chili powder
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Dash pepper
2 packages (10-1/2 ounces each) corn tortilla chips
Shredded cheddar cheese and sliced ripe olives, chopped tomatoes, sour cream

Place beans in a saucepan; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.

Drain and rinse beans; discard liquid. Place roast in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a bowl, combine beans, vegetables, water, chilies, and seasonings. Pour over roast. Cover; cook on high 3 hours. Reduce heat to low; cook 5 hours longer or until beans are tender.

Remove meat; shred and return to slow cooker. With a slotted spoon, serve meat mixture with corn chips and toppings of your choice.

Yield: 10 servings

My husband was worried about having carrots & celery in his nachos. I kept telling him you are not even going to notice them when this is all finished! And you don't!! I chopped them up really small and with them cooking for 8 hours... you have no idea they are in there when you serve it up!

6 comments:

Laura Fenske said...

That sound so yummy! And, it's funny because I have almost every one of those ingredients already in my pantry/fridge...even the pork! I'll have to try it.

Ben said...

hmmmm I'll have to think about making this for the hallowii party. this seems like it would serve quite a bit. I was gonna make 7 layer dip and spinach artichoke dip, I wonder if it would be too much having this and the 7 layer dip.
Thanks for the recipe

Ben said...

oops that wasn't ben, that was me(katie) sorry for some reason I'm signed in with his name:)

Laura Fenske said...

Never too much, Katie! Never!

I'm making this tommorrow, Lynn!

Laura Fenske said...

I made it today, and it was soooo yummy. My whole extended family thought so too. I grated the carrot instead of chopping it and added chopped onions.

Katie said...

Just made this for dinner a couple of nights ago and it was a big hit. I can't believe how much it made. So good. I did put the beans in it and LOVED it.