Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Mexican-Style Lasagna

This recipe started out a little rocky for me yesterday. I decided to prep this during my lunch so all I had to do was put it in the oven (1 hour cook time!).

This recipes tells you to put cilantro, scallions & spinach in a food processor... well I only own a blender. I have tried to put spinach in a blender before and it is a real test of my patience!! But, I thought I would try it again. I get everything in my blender and push the pulse button. Only chops up the stuff close to the blade. So I keep pushing everything back closer to the blade. Pretty soon I get annoyed and take all the spinach out of the blender and chop it - thinking this will move things along a little quicker! Put spinach back into blender and pulse... same thing! So now I get my wooden spoon in one hand and the my other hand is on the blender with a finger on the pulse button. I am going to do both at the same time!!!! Not such a good idea! All of sudden I hear a horrible noise and I pull my spoon out... missing a chunk!!! Hmm now what!? I say enough is enough with this blender and my rough chop is going to have to do. I dump it all back into a bowl and dig and dig and dig for the chunk of my missing spoon. I found it!! (Good thing it was just Jesse & I for supper!)

If only you could of saw my kitchen - spinach everywhere!!! So, my suggestion for you if you make this and DON'T own a food processor... just rough chop your spinach!!! And feel free to make ahead of time and keep in your fridge so all you have to do is bake it! Worked out perfectly for me.

It really was a great tasting meal. Jesse even had more of it for his 4th meal. (Jesse has to eat another meal about 9 every night.) He was still loving it re-heated!!

1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
4 scallions, coarsely chopped
Coarse salt and ground pepper
10 ounces fresh baby spinach
Nonstick cooking spray
8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
1 (15.5 ounces) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup prepared salsa (mild or medium)
8 ounces pepper Jack cheese, grated (about 2 cups)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a food processor, combine cilantro, scallions, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper with as much spinach as will fit; pulse, adding remaining spinach in batches, until coarsely chopped.

Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray. Lay 4 tortillas in bottom of dish (they will overlap slightly). Layer with half of beans, salsa, spinach mixture, and cheese; repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with cheese and pressing in gently.

Cover dish with foil; place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes; remove foil, and continue baking until golden, 15 to 20 minutes more. Cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

MarthaStewart.com

No comments: